What does “Sustainable Cotton” mean?
Sustainable Cotton is the ‘movement’ of farmers who have made the changeover from chemically dependent to more biological sound approaches, by using:
1. Composted manures and cover crops to replace synthetic fertilizers;
2. Innovative weeding strategies instead of using herbicides;
3. Beneficial insects and trap crops controlling insect pests; and
4. Alternatives to toxic defoliants to prepare plants for harvest.
The ultimate goal of “sustainable cotton” is to move sustainable production, manufacturing and use practices throughout the cotton value chain in order to create a healthy and profitable industry for growers, their communities, manufacturers, retailers and users of all cotton products.
Why is organic cotton better for me?
Organic cotton is free from the toxic dyes and insecticides used in conventional cotton production.
Our bodies are constantly fighting the toxins found in the products around us. With organic cotton sheets, towels and clothing you help create environments in your home that allow the body’s defence systems a chance to recuperate. Just like organic food, organic cotton is good for you and your family, as well as the environment.
- Benefits for your home Hypoallergenic & safe for your family. Protect your family against the health issues that can be caused by exposure to harmful chemicals. Organic cotton products are so pure they are safe enough for many with acute allergies and chemical sensitivities.
- Durable, long-lasting Organic fibres grow stronger. When cared for properly, organic cotton linens last longer than conventional products. There are often comments from customers that they improve with age.
- A great way to make a positive impact If you already support organics for the health of our environment, then buying organic cotton is another great way to make a difference. It takes about 500 grams of pesticides and synthetic fertilizers to grow the conventional cotton needed to make just one bed sheet.
- Certified Organic Guarantee Gecoz sells ecolinen, which is proud to be the first bed linen company in Australia to be certified organic by SKAL International which means you are guaranteed that this product is 100% organic cotton. Safe for you and your family.